header picture

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Try something new: Brussels sprouts


For many many years I hated Brussels sprouts. I didn’t want to hear about them or look at them. Not think about them eaither. But after a few Thanksgivings and Christmases, I started to have doubts. I thought that if this is a staple at the table during the holidays season, (you see it in all recipes in magazines and TV shows for the holidays), maybe there IS something to it. So I gave it a try... and fell in love.

My husband hated this veggie too, but a simple roasting recipe has changed it all. Now we make this dish 1-4 times a month when it is in season. I had never tried to add any other ingredient to it or try another recipe. Salt, papper, and olive oil, plain and simple.

I think I don’t like Brussels sprouts when they are cooked in water, steamed or poached. But when they are roasted or sautéed they become browned and caramelized, they have a creamy sweet flavor.

If you hate Brussels sprouts, give them a second chance, please. And try the recipe below. You might fall in love too.

Roasted Brussels sprouts
Makes 4 servings

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any rough outer leaves. If they are big, cut in half. Place on baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil, and sprinkle salt and black pepper. Mix together.
Roast for 30-40 minutes, until outside in browned and they are tender inside.

If you liked this post, you might be interested in:
Try something new: Artichokes
Try something new: Acorn squash
Try something new: Eggplants
Try something new: Truffle oil

Enjoy.
Nurit

No comments: