header picture

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Orange-Colored Soup



A few months ago I was talking on the phone with a relative from Los Angeles. She said she likes my blog and read it almost every day, and she likes the recipes etc, and then she asked “why don’t you have recipes for soup?”. “SOoooUP?” I asked, “But it’s summer! And you live in California! You want soup?”
Well, now it is December, and it’s time for soup.


The recipe for this soup has been a part of my recipe collection in the past 15 years or so. Every winter I make it, at least once. It has seasonal ingredients, and is simple and easy to make.


Orange-Colored Soup
Makes 8 servings

2 shallots, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup white wine
1 quart chicken stock
1 lb. pumpkin, peeled and diced
1 lb. yams, peeled and diced
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
Nutmeg, grated
Salt
Black pepper
Water/milk/heavy cream/chicken stock for thinning the soup – optional, if needed
Sour cream and chives, for serving

In a medium size pot, sauté the onions in the butter over medium heat.
Add all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil and then cook over low heat for 40-50 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
Let cool a bit. Mash with potato masher or puree in a food processor or using a hand mixer to desired consistency. Add water/milk/heavy cream/chicken stock to thin the soup, if needed.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chives.

Oh, I almost forgot – a few drops truffle oil just before serving (in each soup bowl, not in the soup pot), will add a heavenly touch.


Bon appétit,
Nurit


2 comments:

Cakespy said...

This looks and sounds so delicious--I'm glad she encouraged you to start posting about soup!

Sunny said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my weight loss blog! This soup sounds amazing, I will have to give it a try. I look forward to reading your future posts! I'm always looking for fun new recipes to try out!