header picture

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Have you ever swallowed bubble gum?


I’ve been working on some serious stuff for my first 2009 post. I thought it’ll take me a day or two to complete, but plans have changed. My son, 5.5 years old, swallowed a bubble gum. For the first time.
I can hear you laughing.
I did.

His reaction – crying, hysteria, worries, lots of questions, and feeling very upset.
“Is it going to be stuck in my throat?”
“What will happen now?”
“How can we take it out?”
“How will I poop?”

Of course this was an excellent opportunity to have a little fun at his expense. Payback time for all the whining, arguing, and nagging I have to listen to every day, right?!

Well, I didn’t tell him that a bubble gum tree will grow in his tummy – that’s what I was told when it happened to me (you can only imagine how worried I was) – so instead I told him:
I can take big tweezers and try to pull it out of his throat, while I approached him with the big scissors.
He wanted to learn how to make bubbles, so I said that next time air comes out of his rear end, a big bubble will come out of his tuches.

I could go on and on – it was very funny – but he looked somewhat miserable so I quit and comforted him. He did look at me with some disbelief when I said he will be able to poop again. He’s OK now. Watching TV and having a snack. TV & snack does make you forget about your troubles for a while, doesn’t it?

Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted.

Now… I’m 100% sure this has happened to you too. What was your reaction when you swallowed a bubble gum for the first time?

7 comments:

Sunny said...

Lol, poor guy. I remember being sad when I would swallow my gum... because that meant I couldn't chew it anymore. When I was little, gum was like gold to me, haha! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, this post was hilarious!
The first few times I had swallowed bubble gum I wasn't worried at all, didn't think it would do me any harm, but then another kid made me worry cause she told me it would stick to my stomach and cause irreversible damage... Thank God my Mom's a doctor and she calmed me and said that everything's gonna be fine :)

Maggie said...

LOL! My parents told me it would sit in my stomach forever but I had already heard too many stories about swallowing watermelon seeds and having them grow out my ears to fall for it.

Cakespy said...

HA! Yours was a more prolonged psychological torture! :-) My mom too told me it would linger in my tum forever. ;-)

Kiezie said...

This is too funny! I do remember the first time I swallowed gum. I don't remember how young I was but it was under 10 I think. And I was sooooo worried! My dad told me it would sit in my stomach and and everything would stick to it. I was so worried it wouldn't make it all the way through! It may still be there for all I know, HA HA!!! Great post!

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

What funny stories you all have. Isn't it a lot of fun to "torture" kids with these silly tall tales?

Anonymous said...

Gum passes through the system like any indigestible carbohydrate (fiber) so there isn't any problem with a single piece being swallowed.