header picture

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Picky Eater Story: Throw the Food from the Window


I remember this episode from when I was about 6 or 7 years old (I think). I asked my mom to make me toast with melted cheese on top. Who doesn’t like those? Don’t you? I almost certainly nagged and nagged her and she finally made it for me. Then I tasted it and it didn’t taste so good, so I didn’t want to finish eating it.

My mom, of course, insisted that I eat the whole thing. Ohhhh, this was a call for a battle of powers. You know how they tell you to choose your battles with kids?! Oh, well… So I stared at it, and stared and stared for an hour, testing to see who will break first – me, my mom, or the toast. Well, the toast wasn’t planning to go anywhere. I prayed that it will somehow magically disappear from the plate but no higher powers came to my rescue.

After an hour or so I came up with a brilliant idea and told my mom that I will finish my toast in my room.

And then I threw it out the window.

Then I came back to my mom proudly showing her the empty plate and declaring: “all done”.
My mom is a very smart lady. But it doesn’t take a genius to figure out when your kids try to lie in your face. Plus, she heard the “plunck” noise when it hit the ground. It was thrown from the forth flour of an apartment building. A quick pick outside my bedroom window confirmed her suspicions fairly quickly.

And then I was punished to stay in my room for a certain amount of time.

I cried and cried. Maybe I even tried some screaming. I learned it from other kids. It didn’t work on my mom though.

Well, I haven’t tried that trick again. But you just wait until I tell you about some other creative ways I came up with to solve food problems on other occasions.

Reminder: You can now follow me on Twitter.

Were you a picky eater? Are you still?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a real picky eater. I blame my brother!

Diana said...

That's really funny! I was never a picky eater, but I still have trouble cooking for my sister when she comes over because she's so picky.

Anonymous said...

That's a great picky eater story. I was never a picky eater, but here's a post on my blog you may be interested in about my daughter

http://fivestarfoodie.blogspot.com/2008/11/last-night-my-four-year-old-ate.html